[Qgis-user] problems with actions from 1.8.0 user guide

Jason Paul Joines jason at joines.org
Tue Apr 23 11:27:06 PDT 2013

    I'm working through through the User's Guide with Quantum GIS
1.8.0-Lisboa on Kubuntu 12.04.2.  Right now I'm on pages 78 and 79 of
the ActionsTab section 11.2.9.

    When setting up the example action as described, the Guide says the
action text will look like this:
firefox http://google.com/search?q=\%NAMES

    It doesn't look like that though, it looks like this:
firefox http://google.com/search?q=[% "NAMES" %]

    I ran this action by Identifying a feature from the lakes layer in
the sample data.  The feature is Lake Clark.  The result was two
separate Firefox tabs, one performing a Google search for Lake and the
other a Google search for Clark.

    Then I modified the action to be what the Guide says it should look
like.  That resulted in Firefox doing a Google search literally for \%NAMES.

    Changing the action to look like this does what you expect and
searches for "Lake Clark" as a phrase:
firefox http://google.com/search?q="[% "NAMES" %]"

    However, I tried to do the same think using the Rekonq browser so
the action looks like this:
rekonq http://google.com/search?q="[% "NAMES" %]"

    The result was the error:
"Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder
file:///home/jason/Documents/rekonq%2520http:/google.com/search%3Fq=%2522Lake%2520Clark%2522
does not exist."

    The command rekonq is in my path.  Running this from the command
line works just fine:
rekonq http://google.com/search?q="Lake Clark"

    If I specify the full path to /usr/bin/rekonq in the action I still
get an error:
"Unable to run the command specified. The file or folder
file:///usr/bin/rekonq%2520http://google.com/search%3Fq=%2522Lake%2520Clark%2522
does not exist."

    Any ideas what's going on there?

    Also, there are a lot of small errors in the the User's Guide,
particularly in this section.  The dialogs don't match between the guide
and the application, the buttons don't match, etc.  Is it worth filing
documentation bugs about all these issues or trying to fix them or is
2.0 going to be out soon and obsolete this Guide anyway?

Jason