[Qgis-user] calculate movements along line

watercress at gmx.de watercress at gmx.de
Thu Apr 25 01:47:44 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I am working with relocations from a telemetry study. I want to
calculate the movement in meter over time along a physical boundary.
There a some methods to calculate the distance between points along a
line but since there are different individuals and the movement distance
has to be correctly calculated by time this does not seem to work for me.

The point-shape with 500 relocations of 30 individuals  looks something
like this:
-------------
ind, date
1,2012-08-05
1,2012-09-07
1,2012-10-15
.
.
2,2012-08-05
.
-------------
I was thinking of creating a line-shape with a given chainage (splitted
every x meters?)
perform a buffer and finally an intersect with the point-shape. But

1.
how can I create a line-shape that is splitted every 10 meters..

2.
and how to write the chainage into the table
-------------
chainage
1.540
1.200
0.450
.
.
1.800
.
-------------

The resulting point-shape should look likes this:

-------------
ind, date, chainage
1,2012-08-05, 1.540
1,2012-09-07, 1.200
1,2012-10-15, 0.450
.
.
2,2012-08-05, 1.800
.

my approach seems to be a bit antiquated and clumsy
but I am capable of learning. Any suggestions or any mistake made by me?
Thanks,
Jens