[Qgis-user] Four band raster displaying funny

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Mon Dec 2 08:30:15 PST 2013

Hi Andy,
I guess that makes sense.

Relating to gdalwarp:
- Output files by default are larger than gdal_merge.
- But they can be much smaller. You have to set *both*  -wm and --config
GDAL_CACHEMAX - if you only set -wm, then the file is actually larger!
- gdal_merge seems to do something that results in some heavy blurring when
using -co PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR - this doesn't happen with gdalwarp.

So the optimal filesize for an aerial photograph is rendered with something
like:

gdalwarp -of GTiff -wm 9999 --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 9999 -co TILED=YES -co
> BIGTIFF=YES -co COMPRESS=JPEG -co JPEG_QUALITY=80 -co BLOCKXSIZE=512 -co
> BLOCKYSIZE=512 -co PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR input1.tif input2.tif output.tif

I've not tried the four-band stuff again; just trying to optimise by 3-band.

Thanks,
Jonathan