[Qgis-user] create new vector layer - bug or feature

Martin Wegmann martin.wegmann at uni-wuerzburg.de
Thu Dec 12 06:14:41 PST 2013

Dear QGIS users,

I updated to the new Version of QGIS 2.0.1 and encountered a bug (or feature)
when creating a new vector layer.

When you load a raster (with projection) and you want to digitize certain
areas of this raster, then the vector file used to have the same projection as
the old one (in 1.8.0 at least), but now I have to set the CRS first, otherwise
it is set by default to longlat WGS84.

This is in my opinion quite counterintuitive - if I create as vector and a
raster with CRS is already present  it should have copied the CRS, or am I
wrong?

but beside this feature/bug, great software! I recommend it to all my students
and use it extensively in courses, Martin