[Qgis-user] gdalbuildvrt - setting scale dependent visibility

Alexandre Neto senhor.neto at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 03:58:56 PST 2013

Graham,

You need to create the overlays (pyramids) for the virtual raster.

You can do it directly in QGIS:
 - Turn render off;
 - Load the Virtual raster;
 - Open Layer properties (right-click) and go to Pyramids
 - Select all the resolutions proposed and press Build pyramids.

Or you can do it using GDAL in the terminal or comand line.

 Have a look here:

http://linfiniti.com/2009/09/image-mosaicking-with-gdal/.

there is also a great tutorial\testing in Portuguese, maybe you can
understand it using a automatically translated version:

http://translate.google.pt/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.viasig.com%2F2010%2F01%2Fmosaicos-de-imagens-em-mapserver-com-gdal%2F&act=url

Hope this helps.

Alexandre Neto