[Qgis-user] Server-klient modell

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Thu Jul 4 00:37:54 PDT 2013

Hi Johan,

here are some thoughts:

IMHO a map server is a means to provide a certain view on your data
(labelling, colors). For ortophotos this is normally not neccessary.

To show only the current area of interest, you could create a virtual
raster (*vrt) that can be loaded as _one_ layer into QGIS (be sure to
deactivate "Create Raster Icons", see [1]).

Serving the ortophotos with a WMS server you could use other clients
(like OpenLayers) to access them, too.

Access can be restricted on network file servers, too.

Performance: does it make sense to load raster files (ortophotos) into a
WMS server rerender them and deliver to the client as, well, raster
file? Maybe if you have a slow network this makes sense provided the
ortophotos are stored on the server.

How about quality? I would assume that accessing the native data
provides better quality than having them rerenderd on the server.

No matter which solution you choose be sure to create pyramids.

So all depends on your needs :)

Bernhard

[1]
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Deactivate-raster-icon-generation-by-default-td5062483.html#a5063070