[Qgis-user] Public transportation maps

Spencer Gardner spgardner at HNTB.com
Tue Mar 5 12:13:48 PST 2013

This is a problem that I’ve spent much time thinking about. I have never come across a satisfactory automated solution. The problem is that as the transit system becomes larger and more complex, dealing with line offsets also becomes exponentially complicated. From experience, I can say that it is hard enough trying to lay out a system map by hand – I couldn’t even begin to describe an algorithm for automating it.

ESRI has a Schematics extension<http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2007/12/12/create-route-maps-with-the-arcgis-schematics-extension/> that is intended for this purpose, although I suspect it is not entirely reliable. I have not seen any comparable open source solution but would love to hear about one if anyone else has suggestions.

Depending on the level of abstraction, I tend to do all of my transit network diagrams in a vector drawing program such as Inkscape and only utilize GIS for background reference material.

Spencer

From: qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Olivier Dalang
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 10:55 AM
To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [Qgis-user] Public transportation maps

Hi !

Does any of you have some experience in creating public transportation maps (bus) with QGis ?

The main problem I have is representing superposed lines with an offset (as here : http://www.cuk.ch/images/articles/3714/tpg_plan.jpg )

For the sake of editability and multi-scale display, I'd like to use "line offset" rather than actually offsetting the lines.
One solution would be to offset each bus line of a different amount, but then, when not superposed, the bus line would display beside the road...

It seems line offset can't be data-defined... Is there a workaround ?

Thanks !!

Olivier

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are NOT the intended recipient and receive this communication, please delete this message and any attachments. Thank you.