[Qgis-user] Creating a square buffer area around a point

Donovan Cameron sault.don at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 14:03:24 PDT 2013

You could generate a standard 30km buffer using the buffer tool in
Vector > Geoprocessing Tools > Buffer.

Then create an extent polygon from that output buffer using Vector >
Research Tools > Polygon from layer extent.

I'm curious of the extent polygon is going to retain the 30km distance
though.. Something to test out =)