[Qgis-user] Creating a square buffer area around a point

Andy Harfoot ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 07:26:20 PDT 2013

If you run the 'Fixed distance buffer' tool from the Sextante QGIS
algorithms toolbox with a segment count of 1, then you will generate a
square polygon around each point. You may then need to rotate them by
45° to align with the coordsys axes if required.

Note that you have to use the Sextante version of the buffer command as
the Vector > Geoprocessing Tools > Buffer command won't allow a segment
count of less than 5 (maybe this restriction should be dropped?)

Cheers,

Andy