[Qgis-user] QGis and developpement version

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Mar 17 09:13:43 PDT 2013

Am 17.03.2013 15:08, schrieb Ramon Andiñach:
> Hi Oni,
>
> (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I get anything wrong).
>
> It is on the website. 1.9 is the development version, aka master. Not
> sure what sort of computer you want to put QGIS on, so try one of
> these: Win:
> http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Download#13-Master

You are right that the installation is described on the website, but it
is far more complicated than the QGIS Lisboa 1.8.0 standalone installer.
For non-tech people, the OSGeo4W setup procedure is a kind of blocker.

Same for ubuntu: If you did not use ppa's before, you will only get the
old 1.7.4 version, or 1.8.0 with ubuntugis. I tried the suggestions for
Master on the website, but finally got around with this tutorial:
<http://qgismalaysia.blogspot.de/2012/04/ubuntu-1204-qgis-1990-installation.html>

> Unless you compile from
> source, you can not have 1.8 and 1.9 on the same computer.

Having a Windows laptop, I had no problem installing Lisboa standaolne
and OSGeo4W Master in parallel. To use Ubuntu, I installed Virtual Box,
one machine with the stable Ubuntu 12.04 and QGIS 1.8.0 from ubuntugis,
and a second with Ubuntu 12.10 and Qgis Master according to the tutorial
above. But it took me several weekends to get all running. That's not
quite "user-friendly", I think.

Greetings,
André Joost