[Qgis-user] problems with open layer plug in

Ramon AndiƱach custard at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 27 06:05:10 PDT 2013

On 27/03/2013, at 19:54 , Jesus Munoz Serrano wrote:

> hi,
>
> I am using QGIS 1.8 on OS X Lion. Is it normal to have problems on the overlaying when using open layer plug in?? every time I zoom in or out it changes the location of features respect to the google layer (probably is the google layer the one who change). any help on this issue, please? it is really annoying!!
>
> Also tried with qgis 1.7.4 and I get the same problem
>
> Thanks,
> Jesus

Hi,

More than likely the answer is yes. The google imagery is tiled and designed to be viewed at particular scales (zooms). If you're overlaying data at a different scale to one of the predefined scales then the overlay won't happen correctly. So, it's how the data is packaged by google, rather than the plugin itself.
It is annoying, but given the imagery is at no monetary cost, I can live with this,

If you search through this mailing list, and other places there's quite a bit of information in other threads on this topic for example:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2012-February/015579.html

-ramon.
PS. This is (mostly) unrelated to your question. What does your google imagery look like when it first loads up? Does it load just what you need or the whole world several times over?