[Qgis-user] Buffer with qgis : wgs84/mercator world?

image lcelati at latitude-geosystems.com
Fri May 10 02:09:32 PDT 2013

Hello,

i would like generate a buffer (20kms) around my shapefile (line).

In a 1st time, i tied to do that with wgs84 parameters (for the layer &
project). But the result was a big circle.

In 2 2nd time, i converted my raw shapefile into wgs 84 mercator world. I
entered this value for buffer-distance : 20000. i think the unity is meter.
Could you confirm to me that the unity is meter?

I succeed in generating a buffer. But when i measure the value of the buffer
with the measurement tool, the value is 15 kms, no 20 kms.

Could you throw light for me ?

Thanks.