[Qgis-user] Recognition of SRS in MapInfo-Files

Fischer, Andreas Andreas.Fischer at kreis-unna.de
Tue May 21 00:37:14 PDT 2013

Dear QGIS-Community,
I'm preparing to get used QGIS 1.8 with Windows Vista/7.
Since I do have to work with MapInfo-Professional as well and sometimes users still have to transform on-the-fly from DHDN/GK3 (EPSG:31467) to ETRS89/UTM, Zone 32N (EPSG:25832) using NTv2 BETA2007.gsb there are some special issues.

First I changed EPSG-definition in QGIS. I replaced +towgs84 parameter with +nadgrid parameter and +wktext  in srs.db and .\share\proj\epsg (+proj=utm +zone=32 +ellps=GRS80 +nadgrids=/path/BETA2007.gsb +wktext +units=m +no_defs). After I deleted the SRS definition in .\share\gdal\pcs.csv everything works fine. As soon as the SRS is recognized properly the transformation is well done on the fly. So users don't have to do anything to get the data displayed in EPSG 25832 with BETA2007. Fine to get to this point ...

... unfortunately  I do work with MapInfo TAB-files and the SRS is not recognized as I expect. Every time I open a MapInfo TAB/MIFfile in EPSG 31467 or EPSG 25832 QGIS doesn't match the equivalent build in SRS. Instead in case of EPSG 31467 a user defined SRS is build that makes use of +towgs84 parameter again. So every time I do have to assign the proper SRS to that layer (EPSG 31467) first. After that on-the-fly-transformation does work immediately. In case of EPSG 25832 the automatically defined SRS does have exactly the same parameters as the build in definition of QGIS. Anyway it doesn't match to EPSG 25832.

Why can't QGIS recognize the SRS in MapInfo TAB-files? How does the assignment of the SRS work? I assume that the user defined parameters that are used automatically are defined in some configuration file. Maybe there is a possibility to change these settings. It would be great to open a MapInfo-File in EPSG 31467 or in EPSG 25832 and QGIS does recognize the SRS by itself and match to the proper build in SRS!

I will be glad to hear from you!
Best regards
Andreas

Kreis Unna - Der Landrat
Zentrale Datenverarbeitung
Sachgebiet DV-Organisation
Friedrich-Ebert-Straße 17
59425 Unna

Fon 02 3 03 27-44 16
Fax 0 23 03 27-28 96
andreas.fischer at kreis-unna.de
www.kreis-unna.de

Denken Sie an die Umwelt. Pruefen Sie deshalb bitte,
ob der Ausdruck dieser E-Mail wirklich notwendig ist.

Diese E-Mail wurde beim Ausgang auf Viren geprueft. Wegen der
potentiellen Gefahr auf den Uebertragungswegen wird zu einer
Vireneingangskontrolle geraten. Eine Haftung für Virenfreiheit
wird ausgeschlossen.