[Qgis-user] Could not load pyqgis -- qgis.core.module not using API v9.0, requires v8.1

Neil Redgate nredgate at ndres.co.uk
Fri May 31 04:42:54 PDT 2013

Hi,

I am writing in the hope that someone can advise me as to how I can
resolve the problem that I have.

My setup-
OS: Debian, testing (Jessie)
QGIS: 1.8 (wheezy) and [on a separate machine] 1.9 master (nightly
build)
Python: 2.7.5
GCC: 4.7.3

Following recent upgrades of (I believe these are the relevant packages)
-
python-sip: 4.14.6-1
python-qt4: 4.10.1-1

when I launch QGIS, I get the following error message regarding pyqgis
with both QGIS versions

Couldn't load PyQGIS.
Python support will be disabled.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 1, in
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v9.0 to v9.2 but the
qgis.core module requires API v8.1

Python version:
2.7.5 (default, May 20 2013, 11:53:03)
[GCC 4.7.3]

QGIS version:
1.9.0-Master 'Master', exported

-----------
Having searched the internet & QGIS stackexchange/fora, the only
suggestion is to update QGIS, 1.7.4 -> 1.8 as the sip module (4.14.6, on
PC) is newer than that being looked for by qgis.core.module.
Following this advice of upgrading to the latest version, I upgraded
QGIS on one of my machines to run 1.9 and I still get the same problem.

Is there a way that I can edit qgis.core.module (and/or other files) to
look & accept the latest sip module; or if this is not the way forward,
can you please advise (in simple terms for me as I am not a programmer)
what I need to do to get QGIS working with its plugins.

Thanking you for your time

yours
Neil

--