[Qgis-user] Buffer segments to approximate

Horst Düster horst.duester at kappasys.ch
Tue Nov 19 08:29:36 PST 2013

Hi Ludovic

The number of segments depends on the exactness of the results you
expect. If you create a circle buffer around a point with radius of 1
the area of the circle will running against PI with increasing number of
segments. Now you have to decide how many digits of PI are expected as
exact.

mPoint = QgsGeometry().fromPoint(QgsPoint(0,0))
for i in range(100):
    circle = mPoint.buffer(1,i+1)
    print str(i)+"  "+str(circle.area())

All the best
Horst

Dr. Horst Düster
Kappasys
Alte Bernstrasse 13
CH-4500 Solothurn

Tel.: +41 (0) 32 514 00 40
Mobil: +41 (0) 76 408 51 06
eMail: horst.duester at kappasys.ch
skype: horstduester
Twitter: moazagotl
Web: www.kappasys.ch

qgiscloud.com - The easiest way to publish your maps

Am 19.11.2013 17:07, schrieb Andreas Neumann:
> Hi,
>
> Buffers for points are round. There are also round corners for
line/polygon buffers, depending on the linecap styles and line join
styles. QGIS and simple features can only display straight lines. The
number of the segements to approximate means the higher the number, the
more vertices you will have for a circle approximation.

> See also http://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.1/ST_Buffer.html as an
explanation for buffer styles and segments.