[Qgis-user] Merging multiple shapefiles - why doesn't it work?

BigBaka hunt.glenn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 07:24:44 PST 2013

Hi, I have for a particular province in my country of question I have
multiple separate folders for each segment of the province and I'm trying to
get all the segments combined into one larger shapefile for each unit (eg
rivers). I've been looking around forums to try and do this seemingly simple
task, but cannot find a solution that seems to work.Trying to use the merge
shapefiles in Vector-> Data Management Tools doesn't seem to be a great
option because it seems that you can only merge 2 files at a time, which is
not particularly practical with 20 odd files. So I looked around and found a
plugin called mmqgis which has a Merge Layers option which seems to offer a
way to highlight certain layers in the TOC and spit out an output into a new
shapefile. Everything seemed to work when I tried this but finally, I
realised that not all the layers had been copied into the new shapefile. In
fact it seems that only one or two layers will be combined at any one time.
Lastly I followed a suggestion  here
<http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Merging-3-different-Shapefiles-tt4138254.html#a4138257>
to copy and paste the attribute tables from each different shapefile into a
new shapefile. This seemed to work until I saved the new shapefile, and all
the values in the attribute table turned to "NULL". I have exactly the same
problem running Windows 7 (QGIS 1.8) and Ubuntu 12.04 (QGIS 2.0).Any
suggestions welcome.ThanksBigBaka