[Qgis-user] "on the fly" reprojection options in 2.0

Ramon AndiƱach custard at westnet.com.au
Tue Oct 15 07:00:06 PDT 2013

That got me too.

> On 15 Oct 2013, at 21:26, Jonathan Moules <jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi List,
>   Maybe it's just me, but in 2.0 under Settings -> Options -> CRS I have two options:
>
> "Automatically enable 'on the fly' reprojection if layers have different CRS"

This is "don't turn on OTF until you need it."
So OTF starts off, but will turn on when you load something in a different CRS.

> and
> "Enable 'on the fly' reprojection by default"

This is "just turn OTF on and be done with it already".

So OTF starts on and stays on.

> My question - what is the difference between these two? They sound like different phrasings of the same thing.

So slightly different rules on how you want OTF to behave.

It might be that you almost exclusively work in one CRS, but occasionally use something in another CRS, in which case the first option is good for you.

Or you might be somewhere that you will use 2 or three different CRS each day so the second is just simpler.

Also, as good as QGIS's OTF is (and I think it's fantastic) there will always be a cost to using it, so if you're a speed freak or have big data you probably don't want OTF on unless you need it.

I'm sure one of the others will step in if I've got this all wrong.

-ramon.