[Qgis-user] QGIS Gazetteer Search Plugin

Ross McDonald ross at mixedbredie.net
Fri Oct 25 08:45:45 PDT 2013

Hello List

Not a question but more of a shout-out to some key QGIS users...

Thanks to the input of several QGIS users from the UK QGIS User Group
(https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113949150549951715823) there is
now a gazetteer search plugin available that can basically search any
suitably formatted PostGIS table via a web service.

It is based on the QGIS Gazetteer Search plugin developed by Nathan
Woodrow and Astun Technology and has been extended by Kevin Williams, Matt
Travis, Simon Miles and others. They, and I, have got it searching several
back office systems including local land and property gazetteers, local
street gazetteers, planning applications, building warrants, listed
buildings and a postcode table.

It needs the QGIS Gazetteer Plugin installed
(https://github.com/AstunTechnology/QGIS-Gazetteer-Plugin) and runs in
QGIS 2.0 and you can find the basic instructions and some examples here:
https://github.com/mixedbredie/qgis-gazetteer-search

Certainly for our end users this is the killer plugin allowing them to
complete the simple but crucial task of searching for an address. Now we
just need to tweak it to search the OneScotlandGazetteer and zoom to the
bounding box of line and polygon features...

Hopefully this will be helpful to others - it has certainly helped me.

Enjoy

Ross