[Qgis-user] new user

Michael Spencer spencer.mike.r at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 02:04:19 PDT 2013

Gill,

Hopefully my post from a few weeks ago will see you on the right track:

https://scottishsnow.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/how-to-dtms/

I recommend creating your own contours from the ASCII grid, then you get
what you want. Probably best to use the vector (.shp) format of the
district map for your purpose.

Michael

Sent while on the move, apologies for typos.

I  wonder if anyone out there can help me with a few tips ?
I am new to Qgis....and finding it very hard to get started !

I am an artist and need to get very high resolution map information
for an installation I am doing
I am familiar with photoshop and ideally would like to transfer map
info. to that
I have downloaded several formats from the Ordinance survey open date
of the area I am interested in (NJ) in the UK
and am exploring vector files for the first time-dxf

Really all I want to do is overlay contour lines on top of district
maps (NJ for the UK) and end up with a very high res version I can print
large

Even if I could manage to convert the .dxf files to something
photoshop can use,  it would be a start
Also, I have managed to import data in somehow (not sure what I did
!)  and can see layers but they don't overlay like they do in
photoshop and I can't get a high res Tiff exported as an image-only low res
I am quite good at learning new programs but this one is so difficult for me
Apologies for the low level query but I am really stuck

Many thanks in advance

Gill