[Qgis-user] Suggestions to make a simple db

venerio giuseppe anardu anardu.geol at yahoo.it
Thu Sep 12 09:11:28 PDT 2013

Hello to everybody,

I'm a beginner in the study of db and right now I'm co-working with a team involved in wetlands. I would like to manage a qgis project of a swamp, joining to a shapefile of the sampling points a csv file containing the different species of algae found in each sample point and I would like to do in a simple way considering the few points and samples I have to manage.
The structure of the attributes table of the point shapefile is made of 2 fields: "ID" and "Sample points"

ID    | Sample points
____|____________________
0     |  1
1     |  2
2     |  3

The structure of the csv file is made also of 2 fields: "Stations" and "Species".

Stations  |  Species
________|____________________
1            |   Barbula unguiculata
1            |   Bryum sp.
1            |  Funaria hygrometrica
3            |   Barbula unguiculata
3            |   Barbula unguiculata

The field to join is "Sample points" and "Stations".
From properties I made a Join, but the result I obtain is (the samples of point 2 are missing dued to draught):

Sample point  |  Species
1                   |  Barbula unguiculata
2                    |  NULL
3                   |  Barbula unguiculata

Is there a way to include in the project all the species for each sampling point? In wich way the db may be structured and managed with qgis, maybe using Excel or Access or the equivalents of Open Office?
With many thanks in advance,
Giuseppe