[Qgis-user] Tablet vs GPS accuracy

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Thu Apr 3 04:40:28 PDT 2014

Hi,
You will "always get better" positioning off a commercial GPS than a
cellphone based one.
I put that in inverted commas because times change, and depending on
your terrain (city buildings, trees, mountains) and accuracy
requirements, "better" might not be needed for your job.

My suggestion is look at the error ellipse of your device,and decide if
it is good enough. If you are positioning doors that are next to each
other (like town houses), you need to make sure that the GPS value
recorded is close enough to your door, than the one just next to it
(like 1.5m away).

I used a Garmin 60CSX connected to a QGIS laptop via Franson GPSgate and
the solution worked really well.
The GPS unit must be capable of streaming NMEA data, so choose carefully.

So, with more info about what you want to do, you might get more responses.

HTH,
Zoltan

On 2014/04/03 13:30, Leo Kris Palao wrote:

> Hi QGIS Users,
>
> I would like to inquire if there are some user that already assessed
> the positioning (location) accuracy of tablet vs commercial gps. We
> would like to use qgis android for fieldwork. We would also like to
> try qmap.
>
> Thanks,
> Leo

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za