[Qgis-user] Automatic polyline editing - snaping to other polylines

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Tue Apr 8 08:08:04 PDT 2014

Hi Tomas,
I have not found an open source tool to do this, but I have done this on
numerous occasions in a scriptable GIS toolkit (proprietry Linux based).
My methodology is not fool proof, depending on the details at the land
parcel level. If there are narrow servitudes (road widenings etc) then
it is difficult to programmatically snap onto the correct line (if their
attributes don't differentiate between them).

If you come up with an open-source solution, then please let us all know.
If not, then contact me off list to see if I can help you.

Good luck and kind regards,
Zoltan

On 2014/04/08 16:56, trenco wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a task to edit large polylines which are mostly following parcel
> bordes.
> I have to correct places where is a difference between polyline and parcel
> borders.
>
> 1. I am looking for a tool for snapping one polyline to other polylines
> within some tolerance - e.g 1 meter. I have tried GRASS tool v.clean, but
> there is no chance to set layer to be edited and layer to be used for
> snapping.
>
> 2. Other option is to create new polyline by semiautomatic digitization -
> tool would automaticaly trace parcel borders (and draw new polyline) and
> user have to choose manualy on every intersection which way it should
> continue. Similar tool is TraceDigitizing, I have tried it, but it is not
> suitable for this purpose - it snaps also to other points nearby. Do you
> know about other tool?
>
> I am looking forward to your hints and advice...
>
> Thanks
>
> Tomas
>

> --

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za