[Qgis-user] Problem with Rasterize (Vector to raster) tool

Colin D. MacLeod cdmacleod at GISinEcology.com
Fri Apr 11 03:06:58 PDT 2014

Thanks Saber, Micha and Carlos for your responses,

I tried the v.to.rast.attribute route (and also v.rast.value), but couldn’t get those tool to work with my data set (and I’m still exploring this issue and trying to work out what’s going on as they look like useful tools to be able to use).

However, returning to the original Rasterize tool, I examined the raster data layer which was created in more detail and found that while the histogram was saying that the maximum value was 0.995968, when I interrogated the individual grid cells with the Interrogate Features tool, the values were indeed one where they should be. Thus, my problem was not that the Rasterize tool was not working, but rather that it wasn’t being displayed correctly in QGIS.

To deal with this, I went into the Layer Properties and under the Style tab, I changed the maximum value from 0.995968 to 1. This made the legend in the Table Of Contents window look a little odd, but the layer displayed correctly, has the right value in it, and does the correct calculations when using the raster calculator tool.

I’m not too sure why the layer is not being displayed correctly in the Table Of Contents window in the first place. Similarly, if I remove the raster data layer from the my project and add it back in again, it reverts to saying the maximum value is 0.995968 rather than 1 in the legend in the Table Of Contents window and in the histogram for the data layer. Thus, each time I use it in a new project, I have to manually change the maximum number to 1.

I don’t know if this is a bug as such, or if this happens with other data sets (it happened with both of mine – one point and one line data layer), but it is certainly a potential pitfall for the novice user when it occurs.

All the best,

Colin

GIS IN ECOLOGY - Providing Training, Advice And Consultancy On The Use Of GIS In Ecology

Web: www.GISinEcology.com Email: info at GISinEcology.com

Need to ask a question about using GIS? Try the GIS In Ecology Forum: www.GISinEcology.com/GIS_in_Ecology_forum.htm

Books From GIS In Ecology Staff:

An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology; RRP: £44.99
An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology: Supplementary Workbook One - Creating Maps Of Species Distribution; RRP: £19:99
An Introduction To Using GIS In Marine Biology: Supplementary Workbook Two - Working With Raster Data Layers; RRP: £19.99

If you wish to purchase these books, visit: http://www.gisinecology.com/Book_Shop.htm

To help the environment, please do not print out this email unless it is unavoidable.