[Qgis-user] Styles in projects and default styles (in datasource)

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) carlo.bertelli at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 09:55:53 PDT 2014

Saving default styles in database is a wonderful solution for coworkers,
but a potential conflict may arise with styles saved in projects.

This is the intended behaviour: if I want to override style settings for a
layer I save my style in the project, but the opposite is not true. If I
want to keep the standard settings instead of overriding them with... my
old and superseded style, I have to reload the style and save the project
an if someone improves the style with new settings I have no advice of the
enhancements.

Is there some way to avoid saving styles in the project when it's not
advisable to do so (say someone else manages layers)? Maybe it's just a
problem of understanding the proper dialogs on my side, or just reading the
manual with more attention (is it a FAQ?).

BTW, xml code in projects is really bloated, sorry for pointing it up.
Sometimes is useful to tweak them and it is really difficult (maybe I'm not
supposed to do dirty things with them, but ... you get the idea).