[Qgis-user] Hachure construction

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 17:58:39 PDT 2014

Another approach would be from a DEM, generate slope and aspect.  Add
the values to a point vector layer and follow Imhof's rules.

I made a similar experiment many moons ago.  Check the last two photos
in this post:
http://epsg4253.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/alternatives-to-relief-shading/

"The arrows depicts the direction of the surface (aspect) while the
line thickness depicts the steepness of the gradient (slope)."

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Frank Broniewski <brfr at metrico.lu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to construct manually some hachures in order to show the
> terrain form, like in ye olde maps
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachure_map)
>
> I am working with contours that I have available. Using the snapping
> options I can already draw lines between two contour lines just fine,
> but a hachure line is usually drawn in the direction of the steepest
> slope. So it would be useful to have a length indicator, just like with
> the measurement tool, when digitizing lines. Because the shortest
> distance between two points would represent the steepest slope and that
> is what I want to know.
>
> So how can I get the current line length while digitizing? Is there some
> plugin? I am also not afraid of using Python to achieve this, but I've
> never done any QGIS modding so far ...
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Frank
>

> --