[Qgis-user] How to get rid of the rest of the World?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Apr 22 08:49:33 PDT 2014

I usually make a new vector Layer. Then you can draw or use the
numerical vector editor to add a polygon. This polygon can then be used
as a clipping mask. Simply having a layer of a given extent isn't
enough, you have to have a polygon object in the layer.

As for why this isn't the way it already is, well QGIS is not ArcINFO or
GRASS where all data in one map are forced into the same projection and
you can set an extent property for the analysis. That's a different
concept of how to do GIS. One that is not very forgiving to projection
on the fly.

Thanks,
Alex