[Qgis-user] [QGIS-user} 2.6.1 Label selected features only?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Wed Dec 3 01:23:44 PST 2014

I just recently discovered the enhanced capabilities to deal with
data-defined labeling.

Unfortunately, there are at least three plugins doing similar things,
which is confusing me every time.

I now use "Layer to labeled layer"-plugin, which adds 14 new columns to
your layer and also changes the settings in the label properties to watch
these columns. This only covers the most important settings, a lot more
are available and could be added as a column.

The nice thing is, that only features with an entry in those columns are
handled accordingly, the other features just get labeled by the general
settings.

When e.g. I enter 0 ("zero") in the field "LblSize" of a feature, this
features' label is gone. The others having no entry ("NULL") are still
displayed with the general label settings size.
Same applies to the label position. When you have overlapping labels, make
the layer editable and activate the "Move label"-button and just drag
those overlapping labels to a better position. These coordinates will get
stored in "LblX" and "LblY" and are now fixed, while the other labels are
still placed automatically.

So now you have to/may use the field calculator for styling your labels
which is quite some work, but for good printing results, this is the way
to go.

To answer your question directly in this context:
Use "Layer to labeled layer" on your layer, make your selection. Revert
your selection and use the field calculator to set LblSize to zero.

Cheers
Bernd

--
Bernd Vogelgesang