[Qgis-user] Problems with Union tool in QGIS 2.6

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Dec 5 12:00:59 PST 2014

Hi,
I have never used the join tool so I can't help you on the error. If the
tool worked before, I would first start with a complete reinstall of
Qgis removing your plugin folder (.qgis2 under users) and the registry
keys in Windows. (HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/Qgis and QuantumGis if you
still have that.  Then delete the Qgis program folder and do a complete
reinstall.  I would use the OSGEO4W installer.  If you have the Windows
Qgis installer, use the Windows unistaller then destroy all folder.
Make sure you backup the stuff you want to keep.  Try the plugin again.
If you have problems, make a bug report.

Personally, I think you are probably looking at the problem from the
wrong point of view.  I would look at it from a raster point of view and
not a vector point of view.    It would be much faster.  You can go back
and forth using the method used here.
http://fr.slideshare.net/shencoop/qgis-raster-to-point  and you can use
the rasterize and polygonize tools and the vector research tools.

I would create raster masks for the water and ground data using the
raster calculator.  Send me a typical ground data and I will see how I
can help figure this out.

If you decide to go at it the vectorial using my way using the point
sampling tool, this is what I would do (not knowing the union tool)

1: Add a row_number field in the VectorGrid.shp and generate the
row_number for your sampling grid.  This new field will help you join
your point data to your VectorGrid.shp (Layer property/joins)

2: Extract your VectorGrid.shp Centroid (SamplingPoints.shp)
(vector/geometry tools...) ( and use the point sampling tool to get you
water vs land data.  Don't forget to add the row_number from the
VectorGrid.shp

3: Join both files using the row_number field.  If you have problems,
export SamplingPoints.shp to a csv and reimport using no x,y.  You may
(or may not) have the same results if you only import the .dbf file.

4:  Save the resulting Layer to VectorGrid_Land_Classe.shp  Maker sure
your water vs land is reclassed to "1" and "2" in a new field.

5:  Rasterize "VectorGrid_Land_Classe.shp" using the same raster extent
and grid size.  Use extra variables in the GDALL script if needed
(yellow pencil)  (see the help).  You will end up with a raster
"results.tif" containing 1 (water) and 2 (land)

6: Polygonize "results.tif".  You will have a new .shp with 2 object.
If you have Islands, you will have more.

Keep in mind that many of the tools only work with .shp files.... so
that may crash some tools if, for example, your data is in a .tab format.

Nicolas