[Qgis-user] Wrong values if DEM in grid format is reprojected

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Tue Dec 9 08:14:22 PST 2014

Hi, could be a bug or it could be simply the tool you are using to get the values.  How are you getting the values?

Below, you are comparing 2 things. A) project  reprojections on the fly vs b) file reprojecting.

Project on the fly reprojection  works for the screen but is not the best way to get the values.

To make sure you have no mistakes using tools like the value tool, make sure the project is in the same CRS as the raster layer.  Then, the tools and values should be good.

If you use gdal warp, remember that all reprojection lead to changes in raster values so some change will happen.  That's why you can use various algorithms to do that.

To see if you have a bug with the file format,  save the Esri grid in .tif using  UTM31N on ETRS89 datum (EPSG:25831).

Then change the project CRS  and reproject on the fly and see if you have the same problem as above.

If you have the same problem, the problem is in the "on the fly reprojection" and how the tools works with it.  If you don't have the same problem, then the only thing that changed is the file format therefore you have a bug.

Good luck.

Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995