[Qgis-user] Mosaicking aerial images

morganHite morgan at hesperus-wild.org
Thu Dec 18 20:13:44 PST 2014

Hi Jorge,

Your two images stacked together look great (page 6 in your PDF)!

Like you, I am able to stack images with 4 bands (RGBA) in QGIS, and that is
how I use them. I have not been able to figure out how to merge or build a
virtual raster from them!

In my experience, both the virtual raster (gdalbuildvrt) and the merge
(gdal_merge.py) combine the alpha channels of ALL the images, and then apply
that combined alpha to a mosaic of the other bands. This is why you get the
white band along the cutline. I get the same thing. I have never found a way
around it.

What we need is a tool that applies the alpha channel WITHIN each image, and
then merges the results.

Perhaps someone else out there has an idea?

Thanks,

- Morgan

jorgepsantos2002 wrote