[Qgis-user] Running into walls

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Wed Dec 24 03:20:32 PST 2014

Am 24.12.2014, 10:03 Uhr, schrieb Michael Scales <michael at iclapland.com>:

> I have just begun with qgis and thanks to all those who post tutorials
> on youtube or in pdf.
>
> I am using QGIS 2.6 Brighton on my mac OS X Yosemite and use a Garmin
> 62SC.
>
> My aim is to create trail maps.
>
> I get a msg about babel from trying to import GPX data from my GPS.
> So I exported it from Garmin Basecamp.

Normally, you can just dragndrop gpx files from a Garmins 62 SD card into
the map canvas of QGIS without going via Basecamp or other stuff, with a
promt for selecting which features from the file you want to import
(waypoints, trackpoints, tracklines etc.). If this fails, everything else
will fail too.

I do not know exactly, but I think that QGIS uses the gpsbabel command
line program to do stuff, so check if that was installed with QGIS
(refering to your message mentioned).

Additionally, open the GPX file as a text document and check if there is
anything under the first block of header lines with metadata: e.g.
<trk>
<trkseg>
<trkpt lat="47.644548" lon="-122.326897">
<ele>4.46</ele>
<time>2009-10-17T18:37:26Z</time>
</trkpt>
</trkseg>
</trk>

> I am pulling my map from open street map as it is open source.
>
> When I open the GPX through add vector layer it says unknown in features
> and nothing happens.
>
> I am keen to do some education alas I am an Aussie in the Arctic living
> in a small village in the north of Sweden.
>
> If any one has a little patience and pointers I would truly appreciate
> the help.

Cheers
Bernd

--