[Qgis-user] How do I register a Google Map?

Mike Keelan tmike.elhoa at comcast.net
Mon Feb 3 16:59:14 PST 2014

OK, I installed the Open Layers plugin and it works very nice but it
won't do what I need, so let me be more specific and see if there might
be a remedy.

The contour lines that I want were actually obtained using a hand held
Garman GPS.  The Garman data was overlaid on the Google map, (with water
depths),  special integration,  then that map was exported as a Jpeg,
then imported to PowerPoint where a visual interpolation was done to
make the final set of contour lines for the various lake water depths.

My desire is the _digitize_ these contour lines as a set of separate
layers. ie 5' deep, 10' deep, etc.  There are many good uses for these
layers,  but they must be accurate as to location and size.  I don't
think I necessarily need spacial info on the "map"/Jpeg if I can get the
whole map in the right position, and size, so I can do the digitizing
(which would then have the spacial info).  Then I can discard the Jpeg.

Is it hopeless?

Mike K