[Qgis-user] QGIS for commercial usage

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Feb 6 08:52:57 PST 2014

Hi,

The QGIS licence (and the licences of other software it uses, such as GDAL, PROJ.4, QT, etc) fully enable commercial use of the software.

You are free to sell the software, sell products you create with the software, or sell services you provide using the software. There are no restrictions on any such use.

The main difference in an Open Source licence from more restrictive ones is that if you do sell (provide in any way) the software, you must provide access to the source code as well as the compiled application.

You may be interested to know that ESRI has included the same GDAL libraries as QGIS in its commercial GIS products - no problems there.

I'm responsible for a custom version of QGIS which is used by several consultants in the same way you propose. (http://www.niwa.co.nz/software/quantum-map) This version is developed by QGIS developers - and is one approach they generate income from their work on QGIS.

Brent Wood