[Qgis-user] Postgis connection QGIS 2.0.1

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Fri Feb 7 01:01:58 PST 2014

Hi Sylvia,

I think people do not answer because your question is not very specific
and lacks details, let me explain:

Am 05.02.2014 12:02, schrieb Sylvia Preuß:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have recently installed QGIS 2.0.1.
>
> Now I’d like to add a new PostGIS layer in a new project and filled out
> all connection parameters. But it takes hours to open all schemas and
> finally it’s not working at all.

I doubt it takes hours (but may feel like a long time for you)
Lacking information:
1) I _guess_ you can connect but you do not explain what is not working
2) any specs about your postreSql server or configuration
3) number of schemas on the databse and number of relations in the
schema (e.g. average) to give a feeling if it is a large or small database

some hints:
- if connecting takes long, simply click "stop" and see which
schemas/relations have been read and which have not
- tick "Don't resolve type of unrestricted columns (GEOMETRY)" and see
if that helps

> If I open an existing project from QGIS 1.7.4 it shows all of the
> earlier added postgis layers. I can create a new object and save it into
> the database. But after that, it’s impossible to update or delete it.
> It’s a postgis – view with functions and rules and is working fine with
> QGIS 1.7.4.

probably the functions or rules are not working as you expect them to,
nobody can tell if you do not show them

did you register this view in geometry_columns? if not and you have a
lot of them this could explain the long loading times escpecially if you
did not tick "Don't resolve type of unrestricted columns (GEOMETRY)"
because AFAIK QGIS reads _all_ records in these views and tries to
determine the geometry type (POINT, LINESTRING, POLYGON...)

> QGIS displays a short message like „couldn’t change object“ only. Where
> is a logfile or textfile for QGIS with all warnings and errors appearing
> during a session? In which path is such a file saved and what’s the name
> of it?

first check the log messages ("Protokoll" in German version) within QGIS
second check the PostgreSQL server's log

Bernhard