[Qgis-user] Proper way to refresh SVG symbols for open project?

Jeffrey Durrence jeffrey.durrence at mcleanengineering.com
Mon Feb 17 08:14:53 PST 2014

I often need to create custom SVG symbols and then make small changes to the SVG source files to improve their appearance on the map.  I usually have the symbol file open in Inkscape while the project file is open in Quantum.  I'm looking for a reliable and acceptable way to refresh my map canvas so that the "newest" version of my SVG symbol is visible.  From what I can tell, QGIS makes a cache copy of any SVG symbol you apply to a layer and uses that copy until you choose a symbol setting (size for example) that you haven't used during the open QGIS session.

I can exit and restart QGIS to get updated symbols, but I was hoping for a more convenient technique (like a "super layer refresh").  Can anyone share a "shortcut" for this procedure?

Thanks!

-Jeffrey

My platform...
Ubuntu 12.04 64 Bit,