[Qgis-user] Question on OSGeo4W and multiple versions

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Feb 25 09:20:18 PST 2014

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, 25. Feb 2014 at 16:52:11 +0000, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Perhaps mainly a question to Jürgen.

> With the shorter release cycles it is more important being able to install
> multiple versions in parallel to support our users.

> OSGeo4W usually provides the stable release (now 2.2) and the dev version
> (now 2.3). I'd like to have version 2.0 as well - as our users are still on
> 2.0 of course and I need to see how 2.0 behaves. Is there any way the OSGeo4W
> installer could provide that? Would this be complicated to add?

Sound doable - we've had previous package with the version number in the
package name, eg. qgis1.1.   That essentially all it takes.  Of course that
also requires that the files are installed into separate directories - but
the packaging scripts are already able to do that.

But it breaks the upgrade path.  But that could also be fixes by makeing the
qgis package a meta package that depends on the current version (although the
previous version would live on without being replaced).

But do we really need that?   We also have the standalone installers that
already are a snapshots of the previous versions in OSGeo4W and can be
installed in parallel to OSGeo4W.

That would also take care of the problem that older versions might need a
rebuild if something in OSGeo4W changes.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
QGIS PSC member (RM)      Germany                      IRC: jef on FreeNode

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden