[Qgis-user] offline address geocoding

David Hiers davidhiers7836 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 5 11:41:15 PST 2014

Hello,
I am seeking a GIS app to use for a disaster preparedness group.  As such, I need full functionality when the Internet is not available.

 The weak spot for most GIS apps seems to be gecoding street addresses to coordinates (lat/log, UTM, etc).  Many apps seem to wind up referencing the geocoding services of google or yahoo instead of doing the work locally.

Provided the correct data files (TIGER, etc), can QGIS be used to geocode street addresses without Internet access?

Best Regards,

David