[Qgis-user] Can I add a shapefile from a network location to QGIS 2.0?

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Jan 6 15:02:24 PST 2014

You can mount a Windows volume quite easily on the fly or permanently by
configuring you fstab file. The command to do this is...

      mount -t cifs

It does take a bit of fiddling to get the credentials to automatically
work but once setup the process is painless.

The issue you are encountering has to do with spaces on the name. For
example, if I copy a shape file to the "My Documents" directory on my
Windows Mount, QGIS and gvSIG does not see the file. If I put the file
in "Data" and ensure the filename has no spaces, e.g.
"My_Shape_File.shp" then the issue disappears. The file appears in the
vector open dialog box.

I hope this helps.

On 07/01/14 02:16, Carlos Cerdán wrote:
> Well... it seems there isn't a way to add a layer from network on Ubuntu.
>
> LibreOffice has issues also to open files from network: you must first
> to define a bookmark to network. After that, remote folder can be opened
> but through this bookmark, which is recognized by other programs like
> Inkscape and Gimp... but not by QGIS :-(.
>
> Maybe this link can help you:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountWindowsSharesPermanently (too
> complicated for me), or maybe looking for /*ubuntu open file network*/
> on Goolge. If so, please share your solution.
>
> Good luck
>
> Carlos
>

> 2014/1/5 sbear <harris_robert at windstream.net
> <mailto:harris_robert at windstream.net>>
>
>     I have Libreoffice on Ubuntu 12.04 and have no problems opening a
>     file on the remote NTFS machine.  When I try to add a shapefile from
>     the remote machine to QGIS 2.0 that is running on the Ubuntu
>     machine, there is no network visible in the "file>open" browser. Is
>     there a way to add a shapefile from a remote computer when using Linux?

Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides