[Qgis-user] Is there a simple way to find the distance to the nearest line in QGIS?

Håvard Tveite havard.tveite at nmbu.no
Wed Jan 8 01:36:02 PST 2014

Dear list,

We are planning to use QGIS (2.0) in an introductory GIS
course at our University.  In one of the exercises we
would like the students to find the distance from each
point in one dataset to its nearest line in another
dataset.

We have suggested that the students use the v.distance
function in GRASS for the purpose.  This works fine in the
GRASS plugin, but this plugin is quite cumbersome to use,
so we were hoping that we could use the function through
Processing instead.  We were glad to find the function in
Processing, but unfortunately, it does not work (see
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5954)

Since this is such a useful GIS function, I hope that
there is a good and simple QGIS way of doing this.

Håvard

Håvard Tveite
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, NMBU
Drøbakveien 31, POBox 5003, N-1432 Ås, NORWAY
Phone: +47 64965483 Fax: +47 64965401 http://www.nmbu.no/imt/