[Qgis-user] problem reprojecting some shapefiles

Giacomo Fontanelli giacomofontanelli76 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 03:44:59 PST 2014

dear community

I'm gonna report a problem that I observed frequently. I have polygon
shapefile, downloaded from the net, representing the path of a satellite. I
think this shapefile derive from a .kml, but I'm not sure. This layer is
WGS84 EPSG:4326.

I have also a layer in UTM 32N (EPSG:32632).

If I work with the on the fly projection I can see both the layers
correctly reprojected and positioned in EPSG 32632 (this must be the
reference system of my project), but once I deflag the on fly projection
and I try to reproject the WGS84 layer (Vector>Define projection) in UTM 32
N, the polygons are absolutely not overlayed.

If I start again the on the fly projectio I don't get any overlay, the only
way to reach a good positioning is to reproject again the first layer in
the native reference system (WGS84) and using the on the fly reprojection.

My impression is thar QGIS doesn't correctly reproject the shapefiles
coming from .kml, am I wrong?

Thank you very much