[Qgis-user] Organizing a US / North American User Group

Jeffrey Johnson jjohnson at boundlessgeo.com
Wed Jan 22 12:50:23 PST 2014

Hi Folks,

It seems like a good time to get a US / North American User Group
going since there has been a serious uptick in interest in QGIS on
this side of the Atlantic. I've talked to quite a few people privately
about this, but figured now is the time to bring it to the wider user
community.

So, my employer (Boundless Geo) would like to help organize an
inaugural User Group Meeting on April 11th, the day before the State
of the Map Conference in Washington DC. This seems like a good
opportunity to get everyone together when lots of spatially minded
people will be in town. The consensus is that we could arrange space
in the District during the day and have a happy hour nearby that
night.

I'm not sure what the procedure is for organizing a User Group (or if
there even is one), but we can take on the tasks of setting up a
mailing list, website etc. If the PSC can let us know what hoops we
should jump through, or things we should think about, please let us
know. We will be reaching out to lots of people who are very excited
about QGIS but haven't really joined the community and try to get the
involved.

Please contact me off-list if you are interested in helping with this
effort and as soon as we get a mailing list going I'll follow up with
a link here.

Hoping to see some of you in DC in April!

Jeff