[Qgis-user] QGIS: Reduction of resolution via pyramids

Julian Schall j.schall at ff-forst.de
Thu Jun 12 06:46:48 PDT 2014

Dear Jukka,

thank you for your answer.

I still don't know how to build pyramids just for defined scale ranges (in
my case: smaller then 1:25.000).

I've forgotten to tell you an -maybe important- detail: I'm working with a
virtual raster catalogue which i built out of 875 .jpgs (4000x4000).

When building pyramids, i've always used the option "external (Erdas
Image.aux)".

Can you shortly explain the difference between the 3 options (external .ovr,
internal, external .aux)?

I couldn't find an advice in the handbook or via google.

The QGIS instructions say that after building pyramids QGIS automaticly
takes the best resolution when loading raster layers. So how can I influence
what resolution QGIS chooses?

Thanks again for further help!

Kind regards,

Julian Schall