[Qgis-user] Add a shape within QGIS to a record already in a database layer/table (SQL SERVER)

Carlos da Ponte cdaponte at sustainableelements.ca
Mon Jun 16 23:54:34 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,
Is there a way to add a shape (eg polygon) to a record in a database table
added to QGIS, where the record was originally created in a database form
elsewhere.  (probably makes more sense as an example).

In my SQL Server database form I create a new record for a mine site in a
table that has a geography field.

I then go into QGIS, load the layer/table via the SQL Server connection.  I
now want to create a polygon shape associated with the new mine site record
I created.  Typically I would just edit the existing shape associated with
the record, but since there is no shape associated with this record, it
doesnt appear there is a way to create a shape to associate to an existing
record.

Is this possible (all of my attempts say no).  Is there a better way for
this workflow to happen.  I could create a child table to house the geometry
and then use a key relationship to associate it to the record but I want as
few tables as possible as this adds tables & increases complexity for novice
users.

Thoughts?