[Qgis-user] QGIS Server on Mac OS X

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri Jun 27 04:25:11 PDT 2014

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Tobias Brühlmeier <
tobias.bruehlmeier at xwind.ch> wrote:

> [...]
> with Xcode and Xcode Command Line tools installed, as required.
>
> 3) I’ve installed QGIS 2.2 and all required plug-ins. Works fine.
>
> 4) I’ve worked around the Xcode bug via sudo ln -s
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/OSX10.9.xctoolchain
>
> 5) I’ve installed mod_fastcgi. The tutorial recommends using Apple’s
> version of mod_fastcgi, but since I wasn’t able to install it, and since
> it’s an old version, I’ve chosen Homebrew’s version (Terminal: brew install
> homebrew/apache/mod_fastcgi), and activated it in /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
>
> 6) I’ve created the file /etc/apache2/other/qgis-mapserver.conf, as
> described.
>
> 7) I’ve restarted Apache, and tested it successfully: http://localhost
> returns “It works!"
>
> !! 8) Ive tried to test QGIS Server with:
> http://localhost/qgis-mapserv/qgis_mapserv.fcgi? Here is where trouble
> begins. According to the documentation, the returned message should
> be "Configuration file problem”, but instead, it says "Please check the
> value of the REQUEST parameter”. Couldn’t find a solution for that, and
> because error log doesn’t show an error, I suppose everything still works
> fine.
>

> PUBLISHING MY FIRST PROJECT
>
> As far as I understand, projects have to be located
> inside /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin/: One project folder
> for every QGIS project.
>
> 9) I’ve created a project folder
> /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin/my_map_project.
>
> 10) I’ve created a very simple QGIS project called cantons.qgs, taking
> canton boundaries from a PostGIS database.
>
> 11) I’ve copied it
> to /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin/my_map_project.
>
> 12) I’ve copied Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin to
> /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin/my_map_project.
>
> !!!! 13) I tried to start my application with URLs
> - http://localhost/qgis-mapserv/my_map_project/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?
> -
> http://localhost/qgis-mapserv/my_map_project/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
>
> No success. After some time, my web browser returns:
>
>> Internal Server Error

> unable to complete your request.
>
> Please contact the server administrator, you at example.com and inform them
> of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
> have caused the error.
>
> More information about this error may be available in the server error
> log.
>>
> And Apache’s error log shows:
> ---
> dyld: Library not loaded:
> @executable_path/../../Frameworks/qgis_core.framework/qgis_core
>   Referenced from:
> /Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin/my_map_project/qgis_mapserv.fcgi

You have moved the qgis_mapserv.fcgi binary into a subdirectory, so
its @executable_path/../../Framew...etc
load path fails. The
qgis_mapserv.fcgi binary needs to stay in the
/Applications/QGIS.app/Contents/MacOS/fcgi-bin/
directory because it has 'relative' load paths that point to
libraries/frameworks in the QGIS.app bundle.

You can symlink qgis_mapserv.fcgi elsewhere, if Apache's user has rights to
that location and directives have been set up for the symlink's directory
to allow following symlinks. Symlinking is not necessary, though. You do
need to make sure the Apache user has read access to the directory of your
projects and data, in the same way it needs access to HTML files, etc.

You can place the project directories where you like, but initially try at
the root of your file system, e.g. /qgis, then set the permissions
appropriately for the server user's access. When doing this, you will then
need to pass the whole path to your project via the MAP parameter, e.g.
MAP=/qgis/my-project/project.qgs.

There are certainly better, more secure setups, but that should get you
started.

Regards

Larry Shaffer
Dakota Cartography