[Qgis-user] A question about properties

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Jun 30 00:30:09 PDT 2014

On 29-06-14 06:40, Shawn Flaherty wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a big project and this is the very first time I have
> ever used a GIS program. I have a basic understanding of the idea behind
> it, but I have a question or two concerning properties.
>
> I made changes to one project's properties; I had to add several
> different colors/icons to count different types of wildlife. Can I add
> these to the program itself so it is a "global" addition so I can use it
> on all my projects. I would really like to NOT have to add them to each
> project. I would also like to keep them all in one layer.
>
> Is what I am trying to do feasible?
>
> Being a new user I would really appreciate the help. As far as I can
> tell, these are the only things I need to figure out so I can do what I
> need to do.
>
> Is there a forum/website this posts on or is it just an e-mail list? I
> subscribed, but I have no access to anything as far as I can tell.

See: http://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/support.html
for some more support channels.

But I think you are here on the right place.

There are several solutions:

- you can either 'save' your symbology as a file (in style dialog), so
in a next project with other data you can 'load' your symbology via that
file

- you save your data+symbology as a 'Layer definition File' ( see
http://nathanw.net/2014/03/12/qgis-qlr/ )

Hth

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde