[Qgis-user] QGis 2.0.1 (german version): Transect with square polygons

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Wed Mar 5 07:37:05 PST 2014

Am 05.03.2014 09:18, schrieb Andreas Neumann:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> First I comment on your statement "QGis seems equipped in the basic
> version with less features."
>
> We don't have different versions like ESRI: basic, professional,
> advanced, whatever there is available @ESRI.

Well, it is a bit of You-get-what-you paid-for. The advanced stuff of
ESRI has taken a lot of manpower to establish, and QGIS can not easily
do the same with a very limited sponsoring budget.

> In your case you may want to try the "Vektor" -->  "Research Tools" -->
> "Vector Grid" functionality. I think it may cover some of your needs -
> maybe not all.

The vector grid is only usefull if the grid aligns with the CRS. The
example does not look like that. I would create the corner points of the
outer lines, connect them, densify the geometry to get the other points,
and finally create the polygons by snappingg on the existing points.

> As to digitizing with snapping: yes, this is available. Have a look at
> "Settings" -->  "Snapping Options".

This should be mandatory for this tasks, I usually take 10 pixels as radius.

HTH,
André Joost