[Qgis-user] Intersecting points and polygons

Lynkos lynkosmail at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 01:50:32 PDT 2014

Back again needing your help...
I have a point shapefile containing bird observations and another polygon
shapefile containing the boundaries of local authority areas.  Using these,
I need to add a column to the point shapefile attribute table containing
the name of the local authority area in which the point falls.
If the two files were both polygons, I would do an intersect or union. But
doing this with a point file and a polygon file creates a shapefile, but
without merging the attribute tables correctly. I get all the headings of
both files, but the attributes of only one or the other of the files.
I'm using QGIS 2.2. Thanks for any suggestions on how to achieve my result,
Sarah.