[Qgis-user] choices

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Mar 11 10:48:47 PDT 2014

On 03/11/2014 10:32 AM, Joe Frisbie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have no experience with GIS. Except an understanding that this is most
> likely a valuable tool for my business.
>
> Is this the right place to learn and create?
>
> If yes, let's get started. Like most people I learn better if I am able to
> combine instruction with action. So how do I load a map so that I can learn
> how to use the system?
>
> Thanks

For the concepts of GIS you'll probably benefit from reading a book like
http://www.packtpub.com/learning-qgis-2-0-to-create-maps-and-perform-geoprocessing-tasks/book?utm_source=socialmedia.com&utm_medium=blogs&utm_campaign=QGIS+2.0
or
http://www.amazon.com/Geospatial-Desktop-Gary-Sherman/dp/0986805211/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1394560028&sr=1-5&keywords=gary+sherman

If you just want to dive into the how to do things in QGIS:
http://qgis.org/en/docs/index.html

Start with:
http://qgis.org/en/docs/gentle_gis_introduction/index.html

Enjoy,