[Qgis-user] Atlas: Is there a way to synchronize canvas to atlas preview?

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Thu Mar 13 06:28:06 PDT 2014

Hi,
I wonder if there is a way to synchronize the maps canvas with the Atlas
preview (like with the georeferencer where the bitmap gets synced with
the map canvas or vice versa)
This would be quite handy for adjusting the labelling in case I need to.
Labelling and the adjusting of it for the final layout is by far the
most time-consuming aspect of my hole project. I use the "Layer to
labelled layer"-plugin to store my corrections.

My workflow right now is to prepare the Atlas coverage and click through
the individual preview items (10% margin), then activate the coverage
attribute table, search for the coverage item, select it, zoom to it,
deactivate the selection, then read the scale for the atlas item and
write it into to canvas scale to have the same representation on the
canvas as in the atlas preview.
Now I can adjust my labels (drag them to better positions) in the canvas
and can be sure that they will look the same in the Atlas export.

Next item ... of some hundreds of maps.

Next best option would be to have a hyper-intelligent labelling engine
that simply labels everything the way I want to ;)

Cheers
Bernd