[Qgis-user] cannot save my layer data...???

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sat Mar 22 01:48:08 PDT 2014

Kevin Caldwell <mtssea at ...> writes:

> I'm having a serious error I've never seen before on trying to save a
large polygon file with either 'save layer edits" or on 'toggle' of my
shapefile.   There are 100s of polygons within a 5000 acre tract, so I'm
really hoping this has a solution.   I'm getting these errors:

> 1) Commit errors: Could not commit changes to layer BCW_natcoms_1-31-2014
- this occurs in the upper band of the
>  field of view
>

> 2) (On clicking "show more" in this error note I get:
>
> "Could not commit changes to layer BCW_natcoms_1-31-2014
>
> Errors: ERROR: 21 feature(s) not deleted.

> Does anyone know how I can save this file?  I've done literally hours of
work and have saved somewhat recently but this last round of edits would
appear to be lost if I cannot save this.

> Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Save the layer into a new shapefile. Re-open what you have changed now and
compare with your back-up copy. Perhaps you can save some work with copy-paste.

It feels like your previous save has been at least partially successful
because some features have been deleted but on QGIS side the deletion has
not been confirmed. Let's hope that at least part of inserts and edits have
been actually saved also.

-Jukka Rahkonen-